Re: Large time signatures

From: Kim Bastin
Subject: Re: Large time signatures
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 11:24:32 +1000

Well, I could give "scores" of examples, but I'm not sure what pieces
or editions you can conveniently consult. Anyway, here are a few from
one pile of music on my shelves:

Schoenberg: Klavierstück Op. 33a, Universal-Edition Nr. 9773
Schoenberg: Klavierstück Op. 33b, Belmont Music Publishers BEL 1003
Schoenberg: Sechs Stücke für Klavier zu vier Händen (1896). Belmont
Music Publishers BEL-1019
Schoenberg: Fünf Klavierstücke Op. 23, Wilhelm Hansen Edition nr. 2326
Schoenberg: Suite Op. 29, Universal Edition UE 8685
Schoenberg: Sechs Stücke für Männerchor. Bote & Bock, Berlin (a
different style to the above)

The time signatures in the above publications are several times the
size of the traditional "within-staff" type, and in piano music there
is only one to a system rather than one per staff. In chamber and
orchestral music there may be one or two time signatures per section
(woodwind, brass...), and some staves may have TSs of the traditional
size if they are not covered by one of the large ones.

Can this style be emulated in Lilypond?

/Kim Bastin