Umlaut

From: Will Oram
Subject: Umlaut
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 02:04:37 -0400

This is one of my dumber questions. How do I get an umlaut in an instrument name:

\set Staff.instrument = \markup { "2 Flöten" }

Naturally lily doesn't like it if I type the umlaut straight. I've tried various other things found around the site and the Web, and none work. \''o, \"o, \"{o} (the LaTeX method), and \\\"o (which I think worked on something I did once a year ago). In most cases the output is just the string minus the backslash.

I would suggest a small mention of foreign characters in the manual, unless I missed an already present one.

Best,

Will Oram
spamguy ^^AT^^ foxchange.com // william.oram ^^AT^^ cwru.edu // AIM spamguy21