small problems

From: Philip Nelson
Subject: small problems
Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 10:44:30 +1000

Hi all, first thanks for the excellent piece of software! Also I found your
online essay very interesting.
Here's my second go at asking how I might make my music look a little better
(sorry didn't realise attachments didn't make it to the list).
Here's a link to the pdf
http://whatsbeef.net/philip/wieniawski/violin1.pdf (85KB)
I've also put my .ly files in that same directory. I used the debian-snapshot
package (2.3.12) for this.

Things that I'd quite like to fix:
 - Bar 33 in the pdf - line 26 of violin1-notes.ly:
        <a, e' c'>4 r8 g->\f_\markup { \bold arco \italic { con
fuoco } }\upbow\startTextSpan c-1 e
        The 'arco' markup has been drawn on top of the f dynamic - could the
arco be
written on the left of the forte, and then the con fuoco to the right?

- - Have fingerings below upbow/downbow symbols (but above accents and such,
which is done correctly) (e.g. bar 2 in the pdf, line 3 in common.ly)

- - Bar 69 in the pdf - line 60 in violin1-notes.ly:
        e'2.\p(^\trill ^\markup { \center-align < \bold arco > } ^\markup
{ \natural }
        Is it possible to have the natural sign next to the trill (and smaller)
- so
as to indicate a f natural trill, and to have the 'p' dynamic marking either
a bit to the left of, or below the slur (instead of above it).

- - Bar 72 in the pdf - line 62/63 in violin1-notes.ly:
        e2.(^\trill
        << { e2.) } { s2 \grace { dis16[ e] } } >>
        This is how the manual showed me to do the grace notes, but in the
example
the manual carries the slur on to the next bar, but I'd like the slur to end
on the 'e' grace note.

- - Bar 105 to 112 in the pdf - all the 'f' dynamics are lower down than the
'p'
dynamics, it looks a bit strange when an 'f' is next to a 'p' and the 'f' is
lower.

- - Bar 5 in the pdf (line 6 in common.ly) - the grace notes are quite close
together, touching the accent symbol on the next note, and the slur to the
4th quaver of the bar isn't easily seen

oh yeah, just another small thing (I know the vertical spacing thing is being
redone in devel version so this might be fixed/changed already) - the first 2
pages of the pdf are spaced out quite a bit (7 staves per page), whereas the
last page isn't (9 staves). Could this be made a bit more consistent? I'd
rather have them all look like the last page, and a bit of space at the end,
or at least 8 staffs for each page so they look  more consistent.

This is really just nitpicking, the music is still excellent looking :)

Thanks for any help,
Philip Nelson