Re: Lyric Entry

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lyric Entry
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 19:12:52 +0200

Aaron Dalton wrote:
I am brand new to Lilypond and am having a heck of a time getting lyrics to render properly. I have 2 questions:

1) I want to line up the words "Agnus Dei" under a certain set of notes. So far the only way I have been able to properly align the syllables "De-i" is using 3 dashes (see source below) but I only want it to display *one* dash in the center of the melisma. If I enter "De -- i" or even "De -- -- -- i" it ignores the melisma. Is there a way to make this only display one dash between De and i?

supMusic = \notes \relative f' { f2. c4 f8 g a2 g4 a2 r4 }
supWords = \lyrics { A -- gnus De - - - i, }

In most scores, such a melisma (that you sing one syllable to several
notes) is typeset with a slur or possibly a beam over the corresponding
notes. LilyPond knows about these conventions, but if you want a
melisma without a corresponding slur or beam, you can use the \melisma
command, described at
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.2/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/The-Lyrics-context.html

2) Second question is with position of the lyrics. I have tried really hard to read the documentation and mailling list archives but have been unable to find my answer. I copied and modified the satb.ly template to give myself 3 staves. The problem is, all my lyrics are printing above the staff and I want them below. How do I do this? Below is my actual source code.

All contexts are typeset vertically in the order they first
appear in the score{...}. So, if you want the lyrics below the
corresponding stave, just move the \context Lyrics = superius { s1 }
below the \context Staff = superius <<...>>, for example.
(Then you actually don't even need the dummy
\context Lyrics = superius { s1 }, see the mailing list archive
for a better explanation).

   /Mats

Thank you so much for your time and patience!

\header {
 title = "Mass for Three Voices"
 composer = "William Byrd"
}

supMusic = \notes \relative f' { f2. c4 f8 g a2 g4 a2 r4 }
supWords = \lyrics { A -- gnus De - - - i, }

altusMusic = \notes  \relative c' { }
altusWords =\lyrics { }

bassMusic = \notes \relative c { }
bassWords = \lyrics {  }

\score {
 \notes <<
  \context Lyrics = superius { s1 }
  \context Staff = superius <<
   \set Staff.instrument = Superius
   \set Staff.instr = Sup
   \clef treble
   \time 4/4
   \key f \major
   \context Voice = superius \supMusic
  >> %superius staff
  \context Lyrics = altus { s1 }
  \context Staff = altus <<
   \set Staff.instrument = Altus
   \set Staff.instr = Alt
   \clef "treble_8"
   \time 4/4
   \key f \major
   \context Voice = altus \altusMusic
  >> %altus staff
  \context Lyrics = bassus { s1 }
  \context Staff = bassus <<
   \set Staff.instrument = Bassus
   \set Staff.instr = Bass
   \clef bass
   \time 4/4
   \key f \major
   \context Voice = bassus \bassMusic
  >> %bassus staff
  \context Lyrics = superius \lyricsto superius \supWords
  \context Lyrics = altus \lyricsto altus \altusWords
  \context Lyrics = bassus \lyricsto bassus \bassWords
 >> %notes

 \paper {
  \context {
   \VoiceContext