Re: GrandStaff name ?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: GrandStaff name ?
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 13:59:33 +0200

By default, LilyPond doesn't support instrument names for
GrandStaff contexts, but the program is extremely flexible
so it's easy for you to add the feature yourself.
Just add the following to your \paper section:

\paper {
  \context{
     \GrandStaff
    \consists "Instrument_name_engraver"

   /Mats

Meixner Music wrote:

Hello all!

First a big Thank You to the developers of lilypond:
I'm a seasoned music type setter and went through all of Finale to Graphire Music Press (which did beautiful output - not as good as lilypond of course - and regrettably died some time ago). Now I'm just digging through the concepts and trying everything.

Hopefully the gurus can help me with this:
I build a little template for strings, with the violins named as group ("Violini") and "1." and "2." for individual staves. Now "GrandStaff.instrument = "...." doesn't appear in output - if I use PianoStaff with PianoStaff.instrument everything's ok, but I don't need the special spacing of a piano staff here...

...see a short example below, showing both methods - what am I overseeing?

=======

\paper {raggedright = ##t}

\score {
    \new StaffGroup {
        <<
        \new GrandStaff {
            \set GrandStaff.instrument = "Violini  "
            <<
            \new Staff {
                \set Staff.instrument = "1."
                {\clef violin c''1}
            }
\new Staff {
                \set Staff.instrument = "2."
                {\clef violin e'1}

\new PianoStaff {
            \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Violini  "
            <<
            \new Staff {
                \set Staff.instrument = "1."
                {\clef violin c''1}