Drums on multiple tracks

From: R. D. Davis
Subject: Drums on multiple tracks
Date: 15 Sep 2004 21:44:49 -0400
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 21:44:49 -0400

While doing some MIDI file to Csound conversion, that involves
separate tracks for different drums/percussion instruments, I got to
thinking about Lilypond and began to wonder about putting the drums on
more than one MIDI track via Lilypond ...doing so with Lilypond looked
like a possibility.  After all, in real life recording, the bass drum,
high hats, etc. are miked individually for more flexibility in
processing.  That allows for much more flexibility than the seemingly
peculiar MIDI concept of usually putting all of the drums on one
track.  Anyway...  after giving this a try, I was pleased to find out
that this worked with Lilypond!  :-) Another example of this great
software's flexibility!

Although I'm having a problem with printed output (see below), and
can't see what the output will be like, the MIDI file seems to have
worked out great!  :-)

For some reason, I'm now getting the

   dvips: ! Couldn't find header file music-drawing-routines.ps

error message, even though:

rhiannon[118]% echo $TEXMF
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.2.2 /usr/local/share/lilypond/2.2.2 \
/usr/local/share/texmf
rhiannon[119]% kpsewhich music-drawing-routines.ps
/usr/local/share/lilypond/2.2.2/tex/music-drawing-routines.ps

Seems that happened once before with a different Lilypond version, but
I don't remember much about it other than Jan telling me to issue the
above two commands when checking out the problem.  What I can't
understand is why I'm suddenly getting that error message now, when
I've used 2.2.2 without that happening before, and don't recall
changing anything.  Any ideas?

--
Copyright (C) 2004 R.D. Davis The difference between humans & other animals: an
All Rights Reserved            unnatural belief that we're above Nature & her