Re: Double Measures - Time Signatures.

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Double Measures - Time Signatures.
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 2004 17:35:35 +0200

One solution is insert a \bar "", at the places you don't
want a bar line. As an alternative, you can set the default
bar type to be empty, using
\set Score.defaultBarType = ""
and use \bar "|" at the places where you actually want a bar line.

If you have a regular pattern, I don't really see the layout problems
with markups that you mention:

\time 8/4
\override Staff.TimeSignature  #'print-function = #Text_item::print
\override Staff.TimeSignature #'text = \markup {\number \column < "4" "4" > }

   /Mats

Trent J wrote:
Hello

I have a few questions about doubling measures and time signatures.

I currently typesetting Monteverdi's Vespers and have run into some problems with Monteverdi's notation. I want to keep the original baring and time signatures as they reflect the phrasing and tempo's of the work (Monteverdi was still using proportional notation)

My question is this:

Is there a way to double or triple the length of a bars. Monteverdi will set a time signature of 4/4 but infact it's 8 beats to a bar and also 3/2 which again is more like 6/1 (6 breves or 12 semibreves to a bar.)

Is it possible to do

\time 4/4 { g4 g4 g4 g4 g4 g4 g4 g4 }* 2/1

or

\time 3/2  { g1 g1 g1 g1 g1 g1 }* 6/1 ??

The reason for this is that Monteverdi can and does move between the 8 beats in 4/4 time back to 4 beats and back to 8 beats often during a work.

I know I can fiddle around with hiding and using markups for time signatures etc this causes the excellent Layout properties of Lilypond to become corrupt.

Using the \cadenzaOn / Off... is also useful but this creates a lot of problems especially when proof-reading later and \cadenza causes all the accidentals to stay active...

Thanks for any assistance.

Regards,

Trent

        Mats Bengtsson