some questions

From: sdf sdfs
Subject: some questions
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2004 23:05:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

I'm new to Lilypond, but I am loving it already, and
very impressed by the output quality.

I do have some questions, though:

1)I was taught that under most circumstances, the
length of a note's stem must be at least an octave,
however, this does not seem to be the case by default
in Lilypond. Is this correct? If so, how can I
override the default settings?

2) Is LilyPond capable of doing proportional notation
easily? (This is a system where the time of attack of
a note is determined completely by its horizontal
placement on the page) If so, how would I implement
this?

3) are there plans to improve the etf2ly utitility in
the future? I am a Finale user currently, and this
would help with the transition for users like myself.

Anyway, apologies if these questions are redundant/
annoying, thanks for your time,

Carly