RE: Note Grouping

From: Michael Lakes
Subject: RE: Note Grouping
Date: Fri, 08 Oct 2004 14:52:20 -0700

I don't know any. But most of the time, common sense works (taking meter into consideration :-) In simple meter, quarter rest should occur on the beat. Dotted rests should not be used. Half rests occurs on 1st or 3rd beat. Whole rests should be use for whole measure of rest (I saw a dotted half rest for rest in 3/4 :\).

In compound meter, quarter rests occur on the pulse. Dotted rests may be used here, but they should only occur on the pulse.

hope that helps.