Re: How do you handle lyrics for 2nd, 3rd, etc verses to a song?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: How do you handle lyrics for 2nd, 3rd, etc verses to a song?
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 10:17:02 +0200

James Moore wrote:
I'm brand-new LiliPond user - it's great! Very easy to learn, too.
Two questions:

1.  Putting together some music for a choir I've just joined, and I'm having
trouble figuring out where the lyrics for the 2nd, 3rd, etc verses go.
Normally for songs I see music that just has the lyrics for the first verse
next to the notes, and then the rest of the words written out in a block
somewhere else on the page (This may be because normal to me ==
traditional/folk music.)  .  How do you do those blocks?  Is lilypond-book
going to be required for this?

Yes, lilypond-book provides the best solution for that. However, from my
experience singing in a choir, it's much more difficult to read the
music typeset this way than when the lyrics of all verses is right below
the music.

2.  The lyrics seem to end up too close to the divider lines between bars in
some cases.  I'm thinking about bar 5, where "man-" ends up too close to the
black line, and bar 6 for "night" does the same.  Do I need to add space
manually?  Or is this the way people expect printed lyrics to look?  (I'm
really a fiddler and a piper, not a singer; this is my first experience with
really caring about having to read the words.)

Take a look at the example called "lyrics-bar.ly" in the
Regression Tests document (in spite of its name, this document
is an invaluable source of examples).

   /Mats