point-and-click

From: David Bobroff
Subject: point-and-click
Date: 23 Oct 2004 18:53:46 +0000

I finally decided to see if I could get point-and-click really working.
After reading the instructions in Appendix D I discovered that I did not
fully understand them:

Make sure that the environment variable XEDITOR is set to

emacsclient --no-wait +%l %f

I did not fully understand this at first.  A friend who understands
Linux better than I helped me out with this one.  This needed to be in
my ~/.bashrc file.

But I was getting errors.  If I have this 'emacsclient' line in my
~/.bashrc file I get:

Xdvi Error
Error executing:
emacsclient --no-wait %l %f (I get real line numbers, of course)
/path/to/file.ly

If, however,  I use this line instead:

export XEDITOR="emacs  +%l %f"

...it works.  I can even use

export XEDITOR="emacs  +%l:%c %f"

...and get the cursor to land in the correct column (Emacs 21.2.1).

But, each time I do point-and-click I get a new instance of Emacs.  Is
this correct?  If so, it seems a bit awkward.

Any clarifications welcome.

-David