Re: lilypond-book and texinfo

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond-book and texinfo
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 10:03:38 +0100

James Fay wrote:
I installed Lilypond 2.4.0 on a freshly-installed Woody.

Woody has Texinfo 4.1-2

I can't seem to get these 2 to work together, though it might be me (a
newbie).

Anyone know of compatibility/incompatibility issues here?

If you want to process the LilyPond documentation, you need a newer
TeXinfo, since a number of advanced features are used, but to
typeset a document using lilypond-book, I wouldn't expect any such
problems. However, see below.

Also, anyone have thoughts on LaTex vs. Texinfo for musicological documents?
I'm trying to decide which would be best.

I'd say that TeXinfo is almost only used for documentation of computer
programs, whereas LaTeX is widely used, at least in the scientific
community, to produce reports, articles and books. I'd definitely use
LaTeX.

   /Mats