Re: Acciactura legato slurs

From: dax2
Subject: Re: Acciactura legato slurs
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 11:34:45 +0100

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 13:20:34 +0200
Mats wrote:

> My guess is that the hack was introduced to compensate for some
> version of LilyPond, where the acciaccatura slur was curved
> upwards by defaul, and was placed at the note heads or even
> below the beams. The best (?!) way to find out why is probably
> to try the original code without the extra fix using the original
> version of LilyPond. You can also get a hint from the layout in the
> existing PS/PDF versions in Mutopia.

Thank you very much!

The question is resolved: Earlier versions would, without
the little "extra-offset" tweak, print the slur in the
main staff, like attached acciacc-slur-lily-2.3.3.png.

The maintainer improved this by adding extra-offset, cf. attached
picture acciacc-slur-extra-lily-2.1.0.png.

(I could not experiment with the exact same version as
the maintainer has used, sorry!)

However, this leaves the question as how to distinguish the music
layout commands from "repair" additions (which at this time in
the history of the humanities' quest for beautiful musicprint
are quite natural.)

Thinking system-language: The Lilypond language must have
certain freedoms in order to calculate an appropriate layout.

Thinking practical: If the maintainer with reasonable confidence
can assume that certain direct manipulative assignment (tweaks)
are temporary, version-dependent adaptions, then he could mark
those "tweaks" in some way; but which way?

Regards/Donald Axel

P.S: The (chroot'ed) 2.3.3.hwn version
complainted about missing fonts.

====
warning: can't find font: `ecrm6'
warning: Loading default font
[...]
====
etc.etc. for ecrm8, 10, 17, ecbx6, 8, 10, 12,

but the transformation otherwise succeeds.

These fonts are not present in the newer version
2.4.0 installation either.

--
dax2-tele2adsl:dk -- d-axel.dk/  Donald Axel