Re: Three small variations on lyrics?

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: Re: Three small variations on lyrics?
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2004 13:11:46 +0100

Mats,

The example is similar, but for me (being a newbie in LilyPond) not similar enough. I looked at the example and tried to figure out what was going on in there. I adapted my code, but everything I tried somehow got the tree stanzas in the beginning. I wanted them to start on the 14 bar, lasting two bars and then 8 bars again with a single line of lyrics.
 Is there a way to do this?

And, perhaps more important, is there a document that explains why it all works the way it does? The tutorial is great for getting up to speed very quick, but it doesn't tell me why things are the way they are. For example, the satbSample.ly (sp?) is great, but it took me many test runs to find out that the order in which Lyrics and Notes are stated matters. And still I don't know when to use a context, and why there are things like { s1 } in there.

Arjan

One similar example is provided in
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2004-10/msg00387.html

   /Mats

Arjan Bos wrote:
Hi List,
Since last weekend I started on LilyPond 2.4. I'm a newbie to LilyPond, so this might just be a question of reading the fine manual.
I have a lyric that goes as follows:
"Nie -- mand is hier 1. die mij de han -- den reikt. Nooit een dag in je leven"
                  2.      die mij troost -- en wil.
                  3. die mij een toe-komst geeft.
So my question is:
How do I have multiple stanzas as part of the lyrics, where the first part is fixed, then there is a part with three stanzas and finally another fixed part?
---
"You can't second-guess ineffability, I always say."

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)