stanzas and \lyricsto question

From: Arjan Bos
Subject: stanzas and \lyricsto question
Date: Fri, 5 Nov 2004 13:52:24 +0100

Dear list,

Could anyone of you please explain why I need to state `\lyricsto' for every piece within my lyrics context? I assumed that stating it once on the top-level would be sufficient.

This is what I'm talking about:

\version "2.4.0"

global = { \key c \major \time 4/4 }

startText = \lyricmode { Six small words to start with }

stanzaOne   = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "1." first stanza }
stanzaTwo   = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "2." second stanza }
stanzaThree = \lyricmode { \set stanza = "3." third stanza }

finishText = \lyricmode { Some fi -- nal words }

music = \relative c' { c4 d e c c d e c e f g g }

\score {
    \context Staff = everybody
    <<
        \context Voice = everyone { \voiceOne << \global \music >> }
        \context Lyrics = everyone \lyricsto everyone
            \lyricmode {
                \startText
                <<
                    \lyricsto everyone \stanzaOne % why is \lyricsto needed?
                    \new Lyrics \lyricsto everyone \stanzaTwo
                    \new Lyrics \lyricsto everyone \stanzaThree

                \lyricsto everyone \finishText

Kind regards,

Arjan Bos
---
Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a sick mind

-- (Terry Pratchett, Mort)