Re: problems during build

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: problems during build
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 13:02:37 +0100

Colin J. Cotter writes:

> I'm afraid I'm rather naive and don't know how to do this -
> libguile.so.12 is in /usr/local/lib

See the manual page for the dynamic loader, probably ld.so.  That will
probably tell you to add that directory to /etc/ld.so.conf and run
ldconfig.

The installation procedure of Guile asks you to look out for this.  It
tells you something like

    Libraries have been installed in:
       /usr/local/lib

    If you ever happen to want to link against installed libraries
    in a given directory, LIBDIR, you must either use libtool, and
    specify the full pathname of the library, or use the `-LLIBDIR'
    flag during linking and do at least one of the following:
       - add LIBDIR to the `LD_LIBRARY_PATH' environment variable
         during execution
       - add LIBDIR to the `LD_RUN_PATH' environment variable
         during linking
       - use the `-Wl,--rpath -Wl,LIBDIR' linker flag
       - have your system administrator add LIBDIR to `/etc/ld.so.conf'

    See any operating system documentation about shared libraries for
    more information, such as the ld(1) and ld.so(8) manual pages.

Btw, what kind of system are you using that it does not include or
does not let you upgrade the system's Guile?  The guile-1.6.x series
is over two years old.

Jan.