Re: Questions on ancient music

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Questions on ancient music
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2004 19:02:26 +0100

I answer the two last questions, and leave the rest to others.

   /Mats

Nancho Alvarez wrote:
Hello!
I have edited the motet "o vos omnes" by the spanish composer Tomas Luis de Victoria from XVI century:
http://www.uma.es/grupovocal/ovos.ly
http://www.uma.es/grupovocal/ovos.pdf
you can see the original source in http://tomasluisdevictoria.org/originales.html

I used Pedro's lilypond-snapshot 2.4.1
I would like to make some questions and comments:

5- Bug or feature? In bar 62 of the cantus, there are two G sharp (it is the same music than in bar 27), it happens because there is a change of line. Is that normal? I would prefer only one sharp sign to be printed.

It seems that LilyPond adds an extra accidental if a note is tied over
a line break. I seem to remember a fairly long discussion on this
topic some year ago. I'm not sure if this is right or wrong, but
it clearly looks like a bug to me that the accidental is repeated
also on the second note in this case.

6- Other usual notation in ancient music is a square bracket (similar to the ligature) but with a dashed line, indicating that the original source has black notes. You can see an example in the original source of the bassus part, corresponding to bar 22. I do not know exactly the meaning of black notation, but good editions always mark it. As far as I know, it is not possible to do it with lily, will this feature be included in the future?

It's certainly possible, just set
\override LigatureBracket #'dash-fraction = #0.1
and use the ordinary ligature support.

  /Mats