Re: Meta-topic: Spam filtering and bounced messages

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Meta-topic: Spam filtering and bounced messages
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2004 21:33:54 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Larry Gilbert <address@hidden> writes
I am repeatedly getting requests from the lilypond-user mailing list to re-enable my subscription because messages sent to me by the list system keep bouncing.

Same here

After consulting with my own mail administrator about the problem, it appears the messages being bounced are all spam that was sent to the list, probably from non-subscribers.

I can't consult, because it's my ISP doing the bouncing

It is important to me that spam messages *continue* to be bounced by my mail server, because I have a bad enough time coping with all the spam that *does* get through. But I do not want my subscription jeopardized by this.

I could turn off my ISP's spam-filter, but I guess I'd then get masses of spam - before they implemented it I had to have aggressive rules that bounced huge amounts of junk.

Are there any options left for me, short of sucking it up and leaving the list?

I don't think I'd go that far, but it is a pain :-(

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.