Re: Meta-topic: Spam filtering and bounced messages

From: Patrick Hubers
Subject: Re: Meta-topic: Spam filtering and bounced messages
Date: Sun, 14 Nov 2004 22:28:45 +0100

Anthony W. Youngman schreef:

In message <address@hidden>, David R. Linn <address@hidden> writes

To rephrase your advice - "Don't bounce. Either bounce or accept and
discard".

"reject" and "bounce" are the same thing!

I'm sorry but "bounce" and "reject" are not the same thing.  One
implies sending a message back to the putative sender; one merely
implies telling the incoming SMTP relay that the message has not
been (or in some cases, will not be) accepted and makes dealing
with the message the problem of the incoming relay.

Except, to the best of my knowledge, "bounce" means that *I* send a DSN back to the original sender, and "reject" means that the relay is honour-bound to send a DSN back to the original sender.

The only practical difference is who sends the DSN. And as I said, in my case (because "download and drop" is not a practical option) there is no way I can suppress the sending of the DSN.

This is getting *very* off topic, but:

As David R. Linn said, bounce and reject are *not* the same. Rejecting means that the receiving SMTP-server refuses to accept the message at all (return a 550 response), meaning the sending SMTP-server can't deliver the message at all. Bouncing means that the receiving server *does* accept the message, but then sends a message back to the *email address* in the message envelope, which may have nothing to do with the actual sender.

That is simply not a proper way to respond to spam. It used to be, when the internet was in a more innocent era, but those days are no more...

--
Patrick Hubers