Re: group music per measure

From: Ferenc Wagner
Subject: Re: group music per measure
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 00:15:08 +0100

Nicolas Sceaux <address@hidden> writes:

>> Jan Nieuwenhuizen <address@hidden> writes:

>>> This is absolutely fantastic.  (Certain) users have been requesting
>>> this for years, it is AFAIK one of the big perceived advantages of MUP
>>> over Lily.
>>>
>>> Would it be feasible to add lyrics and include this in the standard
>>> distribution (ie: add proper documentation)?
>>>
>>> Jan.
>>
>> I tried to do that before posting. My idea was do to something like
>> this:
>>
>> \splitMusic #'(Staff Lyric) {
>>   c' d' e' f' | bon -- jour mon -- sieur
>>   d' e' f' g' | bla bla bla bla
>> }
>>
>> but this is not possible as is, for it would require to mix notemode
>> and lyricmode, and the parser don't like that. Had I succeeded, I
>> would not have said that it was useless :-)
>>
>> nicolas
>
> I was just thinking about a possible hack, something that would
> allow to write for instance:
>
> ##s(Staff Lyric) {
>   c' d' e' f' | bon -- jour mon -- sieur
>   d' e' f' g' | bla bla bla bla
> #}
>
> ==>
>
> \context Staff = "uniqueContext123" \notemode {
>   c' d' e' f' |
>   d' e' f' g' |
> }
> \lyricsto "uniqueContext123" \lyricmode {
>   bon -- jour mon -- sieur
>   bla bla bla bla
> }
>
> This is feasible, but, hm, ugly.

And a step in the right direction, in my opinion.  You
should aim for even more generality.  What about a parallel
variable assignment along TeX's \halign, like eg.

##d(melody words) {
  \notemode # | \lyricmode #
  c' d' e' f' | bon -- jour mon -- sieur
  d' e' f' g' | bla bla bla bla
#}

\context Staff = "whateverYouWrite" \melody
\lyricsto "whateverYouWrite" \words

or any other use of the variables one may conjure?  On the
other hand, you can just steal the good ideas of sly... ;)
--
Feri.