Nested StaffGroups

From: Aaron Dalton
Subject: Nested StaffGroups
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2004 11:45:20 -0700

I am running Lilypond 2.2.5 via cygwin on an XP box. I have access to 2.2.3 on my FreeBSD box but I get the same results.

I am trying to duplicate a section of a Baroque opera score. I is a single system with 5 staves. The top 3 are Violin1, Violin2, and Viola. This is followed by a staff for the voice and a staff for the continuo. All 5 staves should be connected at the beginning with a single line. The top three staves should be braced, and the the top *2* staves should be further grouped with a bracket. I have included my current .ly file for examination. I believe I have correctly followed the example in section 3.3.8 of the documentation. When I compile this document, I get all 5 staves grouped together with a single brace and all the barlines shared.

On a side note, I am very new to Lilypond syntax in general. There *has* to be a way to declare time and key signature for all staves in one place. If I put it after the \score delcaration I get a syntax error and if I put it after the \notes declaration it only affects the first staff.

I *greatly* appreciate any help you can offer.

Cheers!
Aaron

-----

\score {
        \notes {
                \context StaffGroup << % groups all 5 staves
                        \context StaffGroup << % groups the top 3 staves
                                \context StaffGroup << % further groups the top
2 staves
                                        \new Staff {
                                                \clef treble
                                                \time 4/4
                                                \key a \major
                                                {s1 | s1}
                                        }
                                        \new Staff {
                                                \clef treble
                                                \time 4/4
                                                \key a \major
                                                {s1 | s1}
                                        }
                                >> % end top 2 staves
                                \new Staff {
                                        \clef alto
                                        \time 4/4
                                        \key a \major
                                        {s1 | s1}
                                }
                        >> % end top 3 staves
                        \new Staff {
                                \clef treble
                                \time 4/4
                                \key a \major
                                {s1 | s1}
                        } % new staff ungrouped as per documentation section
3.3.8
                        \context StaffGroup <<
                                \new Staff {
                                        \clef bass