Re: European Characters in \markup

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: Re: European Characters in \markup
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2004 08:51:34 -0800

Ah, I discovered a couple things here: first is something that might be in the manual, but I have never seen it, namely that \markup "qw\\'er" or \markup { qwér } can be used.

Regarding text editors, when I'm in emacs (without X), it depends on the xterm I'm using. For example, xterm, rxvt, and konsole insert a tab-space when I try pasting characters such as é. The GNUstep Terminal pastes the character just fine. When using gedit, I think the encoding is wrong because I get all sorts of exciting characters in my output when I try processing the characters. Kate works fine. Note that I have done minimal configuration to the programs (I don't even know where to start) mentioned.

Finally, when I try using the \markup "qw\\'er" method, I get the following error (I'm using 2.4.2 on Debian):

$ lilypond-snapshot texencoding.ly
GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
Processing `texencoding.ly'
Parsing...
Interpreting music... [2]
Preprocessing graphical objects...
Calculating line breaks... [2]
Layout output to `texencoding.tex'...
Converting to `texencoding.dvi'...
Error invoking `latex \\nonstopmode \\input texencoding.tex > /dev/null 2>&1 '. Return value 256
Converting to `texencoding.ps'...
Error invoking `dvips -t "a4" -u+ec-mftrace.map -u+lilypond.map -Ppdf texencoding > /dev/null 2>&1 '. Return value 256 Converting to `texencoding.pdf'...Error invoking `ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE="a4" texencoding.ps > /dev/null 2>&1 '. Return value 256

Josiah

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

Josiah doesn't say what text editor he uses to produce the .ly files.
The thing is that the inputencoding you specify in the .ly file should
be the same as the encoding that the editor uses when saving the file.
Since the default inputencoding is latin1, you should either use an
editor that saves the file using latin1 (ISO 8859-1) encoding or change
the setting in the .ly file corresponding the encoding your editor
uses.

   /Mats

Bertalan Fodor wrote:

At me the following cases work:

composer = "qwér"
poet = \markup "qw\\'er" { qwér }
arranger = \markup "\\\"asdf " { äsdf }

c^\markup { "qw\\'er" }
\override TextSpanner #'edge-text = #'("qw\\'er" . "asdf")

Bert