ETF conversion

From: Ben Crowell
Subject: ETF conversion
Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2004 11:23:51 -0600

I bought a copy of Finale about 7 years ago. Because I bought
it, they gave me a license to download and read the documentation
for ETF format, which I did. IIRC, you actually needed to put
in a password on their web site in order to access the docs.
I e-mailed them to ask if they thought it was legal for me to
show the docs to other people, and they never replied. I don't
remember whether there was a EULA.

I never intend to use Finale again, so if there's a lilypond
developer who's interested in working more on the ETF-ly
converter, I'd be happy to donate my copy of Finale, which
would then presumably make it legal for that person to use
the ETF docs. (Well, at least that's my interpretation under
the doctrine of first sale in U.S. copyright law, but IANAL,
and I guess most of the lilypond developers are in Europe.
I also haven't looked carefully to see if they're claiming
it's a trade secret or something.) The ETF documentation was
actually quite complete and well written.