Re: german mailinglist for lilypond?

From: Hans Forbrich
Date: Fri, 26 Nov 2004 16:15:15 -0600

On Friday 26 November 2004 12:17, Anthony W. Youngman wrote:
> In message <address@hidden>, Werner LEMBERG
> <address@hidden> writes
>
> >> If there were enough persons interested in, then perhaps with a
> >> little bit help I could maintain a german mailinglist.
> >
> >While being a native German speaker, I fear I won't have enough time
> >to discuss problems on two lists...
>
> And while convention says international newsgroups/mailing lists should
> be in English, I see no reason why we should be so arrogant as to expect
> others to speak our language. Why shouldn't people post to the mailing
> list in other languages if their English isn't good enough? It just
> means that they are going to get less help because fewer people will
> understand the question :-)

One variation I have used when writing to German lists to which I belong:
Being of German descent but having a somewhat limited vocabulary, I will
write the question in both my limited German and in English.  I usually get
help in two ways then - in my problem and in my German.

I agree with Werner's concern - splitting to language-based lists will do very
little more than splinter the already limited (albeit excellent) resources
that are available.  (And give the spam-bots more lists to haunt.)

JMHO
/Hans