Re: once more about encodings (ver. 2.4.2)

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: once more about encodings (ver. 2.4.2)
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 15:01:20 +0100 (CET)

> I've noticed that some characters in a lilypond file map to
> different character numbers than in a latex document.  When
> substituting a different font in a lilypond file, some of the
> combination characters don't work correctly, because the parts are
> in the wrong place, even though the same font will work in a general
> latex document.  I think it would be nice to have it all work the
> same (from a user perspective), and to be able to change the fonts
> in a similar manner as in a latex document.

This won't be a problem, I think.  It is planned that (La)TeX will
handle all text strings by itself.  There will be a (global) command
like

  \outputformat = "TeX"

which makes LilyPond pass all strings to the TeX engine verbatim.
After TeX has been executed, LilyPond is called again; this time it
reads the metrics of the text strings (which have been computed during
the TeX run).

lilypond-book will be extended to provide the necessary glue between a
LaTeX document and LilyPond, this is, it will set up the default font
parameters so that the string "foo" is actually typeset with the font
used right before a `lilypond' environment or \lilypond command.

    Werner