Re: How to enter small fragments of alternative lyrics for a voice?

From: Peter B. Steiger
Subject: Re: How to enter small fragments of alternative lyrics for a voice?
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2004 17:35:46 -0700

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 16:31, Erik Sandberg wrote:
> Have you tried using \skip within lyrics? like { la la la \skip 4 tra la la }

Is that 4 notes, beats, or syllables?  I can't get \skip to work
correctly.  I have a test song where the lyrics are:

My li -- ly pond, it's fine! __

The lead singer sings the first word ("My") alone, then all four parts
sing "lilypond, it's" together, then the lead sings "fine!" by himself,
then the harmony parts echo after the first beat with "It's real -- ly
fine!"

To avoid printing the same lyrics for all four parts when they are the
same, I use spaces:
{ _ _ _ it's real -- ly fine! }

But when I change that to \skip 1 (for 1 measure), it skips only one
beat and prints "it's" under the lead's "-ly" syllable.  If I change
that to \skip 4 (beats) it does the same thing - skips only one note and
prints "it's" under the lead singer's "-ly".  If I try \skip 3 (for the
first three syllables, since the harmony parts have a rest for "My"), I
am told that 3 is not a valid duration.

I am using 2.4.1.

See http://www.steigerfamily.com/pbs/bbshop-template.ly for an example
of what works (using a single _ spacer for every syllable) and what does
not work (using any form of \skip).

-----
Peter B. Steiger
Cheyenne, WY