guitar strings

From: majik
Subject: guitar strings
Date: Sat, 4 Dec 2004 21:11:20 +0000

Hello,
     I am writing up a composition for my degree in Music using lilypond. It
is a composition for guitar, and what i wish to do is put a circle around a
number to show which string the note is being played on. My lilypond version
is 2.4.2 and I am running SuSe 9.1 OS.

I have tried the following, which produces a circle, but does not display the
number in the circle, and I get errors when lilypond is invoked:

CODE THAT IVE TRIED:
ais8 a _\markup {"\\textcircled{tiny 1}"}

AND

_"$\\!$ \\textcircled{\\textsc{1}}"

both give the folowing results:

OUTPUT:
Preprocessing graphical objects... programming error: Script direction not yet
known!
Continuing; crossing fingers

PDF:
Displays a circle, no text

Can you please help me do this somehow?!
Matthew Carey