Re: guitar strings

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: guitar strings
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 11:18:21 +0100

I don't understand the error messages that you get. The following
example works excellently here:

\version "2.4.2"
{
ais8 a _\markup {"\\textcircled{\\tiny 1}"}
a_"$\\!$ \\textcircled{\\textsc{1}}"

}

Note that you had forgot the backslashs on the LaTeX command \tiny.

   /Mats

majik wrote:
Hello,
I am writing up a composition for my degree in Music using lilypond. It is a composition for guitar, and what i wish to do is put a circle around a number to show which string the note is being played on. My lilypond version is 2.4.2 and I am running SuSe 9.1 OS.

I have tried the following, which produces a circle, but does not display the number in the circle, and I get errors when lilypond is invoked:

CODE THAT IVE TRIED:
ais8 a _\markup {"\\textcircled{tiny 1}"}

AND

_"$\\!$ \\textcircled{\\textsc{1}}"

both give the folowing results:

OUTPUT:
Preprocessing graphical objects... programming error: Script direction not yet known!
Continuing; crossing fingers

PDF:
Displays a circle, no text

Can you please help me do this somehow?!
Matthew Carey

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems