RE: Merging rests in single-staff polyphony

From: P Scott Horne
Subject: RE: Merging rests in single-staff polyphony
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:19:37 -0500

Brilliant!  That worked perfectly.  Within the main voice, I switched back
and forth between \voiceOne and \oneVoice at each rest.  A bit cumbersome if
there are a lot of rests, but it works.

Thanks for the help.  I apologise for posting my question to the wrong
place.

I don't know whether this counts as a bug, but \oneVoice with eighth notes
(quavers) results in two sets of flags or beams on the same stem.  Stems can
also fail to meet if the notes are too far apart.  In the past, I have had
to write a messy hack in order to correct these problems (by making one set
of flags or beams invisible or by lengthening one stem).  Evidently Lilypond
simply sets the two notes in the same vertical position without combining
them into a proper chord.

I'm using Lilypond 2.2.5.  I look forward to upgrading before long to 2.4,
which is said to handle slurs much better.

Thanks again,
Scott Horne