RE: markup in lyrics?

From: thingkcp
Subject: RE: markup in lyrics?
Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2004 09:42:37 -0500

On 05 Dec 2004 address@hidden wrote:
>I'm trying to typeset more of the songs from my college songbook and I'm
>running
>across some problems.  One problem is that sometimes there are different words
>sung for different verses...
>
>One line runs:
>
>   ... zum, zum, zum.  {But / For /And} here by the fire ...
>
>Where the But, For and And should be stacked up like this (use a monospace font
>to view this):
>
>          { But }
>zum, zum. { For } here by the fire
>          { And }
>
>*( the multiple curly braces should be single curly braces...)
>
>I tried to put markup in lyrics, as I had hoped I could just make a column,
>etc.. but all my attempts at 'escaping' the TeX seemed to fail...

I had just this problem and have come up with a solution that is a bit clunky
but works.  Here's an example of a brace spanning two lines of lyrics:

bigBrace = \markup { \fontsize #8 "$\lower 63pt \hbox{\}}$" }

\score {
    \relative c'' { g4 a b c4*1/2 \hideNotes \emptyText c8^\bigBrace
\unHideNotes d4 e }
    \addlyrics { put some lyrics here _ "  together" now }
    \addlyrics { and second verse here }
}

There are three stages to this:
1.  Create a markup with a large brace, using embedded TeX to move it (so that
Lilypond doesn't move other text to make room for it)
2.  Insert a dummy note in the score and change the timing of the preceding
note to accommodate it;  put the brace in as a markup *above* the dummy note
(even though it is going to appear below)
3.  Leave space in the lyrics to make room for the brace

Some tweaking will be needed to get the brace in exactly the right position.

Hope that helps
Þing

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.

Netscape. Just the Net You Need.