Lilypond, how it really work, Java & Eclipse

From: lala lala
Subject: Lilypond, how it really work, Java & Eclipse
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 09:24:17 +0100

Hello everybody,

I'm a new contributor to the lilypond mialing list. I'm a drummer and I discovered lily 2 years ago looking for a powerful tool to engrave my parts and the parts of my pupils. It was difficult to understand and the first version I try didn't support drums notation. Today I use a recent version and with gvim and a bit of courage, I manage to obtain some good & beautiful output. As you see, one part of my life is music; for the other part I'm involving into programming and specially Java programming and Eclipse plugins programming. So I have a lot of question about Lily and I hope that is the good place to ask them. 1) Despite a (small) search in the documentation and without looking to the code, i didn't find a real description of how lilypond really work(parsing, conversion etc ...). I mean which functionnalities are coding in Scheme, I see some cc files in the source package. What are their role ? What are the external program called by lilypond and why and when are they called ? 2) Maybe the same question, do you think that lilypond could be rewrite in Java ? and port on windows (without cygwin) ? 3) I see some comments about a JEdit plugin and I wonder if an Eclipse plugin will be interesting. For example an editor with code completion, syntax highlighting, refactor etc ... and maybe a kind of realtime output. I will try the JEdit plugin maybe it works well. 4) I have a dream. A real engraving software like lilypond but a little bit simpler (for novice), really cross platform, and a lot of parameters for experts and particular about layouts ... Do you think that would be possible ?

Thks !

Lasconic