Re: Difficulties using a piano-template

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Difficulties using a piano-template
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 13:05:19 +0100

The problem is that the commands \clef and \key are only recognized
correctly if you are in \notes{...} input mode. So, either move your
settings of \clef and \key into your definitions of upper and lower
or add a \notes when you declare your Staff contexts:
\context Staff = upper \notes{
    \clef violin \key f \major \time 2/4 \upper }
\context Staff = lower {\clef bass  \key f \major \lower }

I find your use of << and >> quite confusing. First of all, you could
just as well use {...} as long as you don't have several simultaneous
voices in the stave. Also, you have declared the Staff "lower" as a
part of the Staff "upper", since the >> that matches
 \context Staff = upper <<
is inserted below your declaration of the lower stave. My example above
should solve also these problems.

Finally, many people use an extra variable for common declarations that
should be included in several staves. For example, you could do:
global = \notes{\key f \major \time 2/4 }
and use it with
\context Staff = lower \notes{\clef bass \global \lower }

   /Mats

Die5Willes wrote:
Hi there!
I want to type piano music and for that I'm using the
simple-piano-music-template from the lilypond homepage. It's the first time I'm
trying to use variables to enter notes in a score, and now there is the
following difficulty:
everything looks fine as long as there is no specification of the key but when
I'm trying to set the key to f-major, there is an error message. So here is an
extract from my score made by lily 2.2.5 on a windows-machine and after that
there is the error message: so, please tell me: where is the mistake or what
can I do to produce the f-major key??

upper = \notes \relative c' {
\partial 8*1 g'8 | c32[ b c d e8] e32[ d e f g8]
}

lower = \notes \relative c {
\partial 8 *1 r8 | <c e>8 r <c e>8 r
}

\score {
\context PianoStaff << \set PianoStaff.instrument = "Piano " \context Staff = upper << \clef violin \key f \major \time 2/4 \upper
    \context Staff = lower <<    \clef bass  \key f \major \lower

and here is the error message:

piano.ly:25:49: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting DEFAULT or
NOTENAME_PITCH:
\context Staff = upper << \clef violin \key f \major \time 2/4 \upper

piano.ly:25:56: error: Have to be in Lyric mode for lyrics:
    \context Staff = upper <<  \clef violin \key f \majo
                                                        r \time 2/4 \upper

piano.ly:26:50: error: syntax error, unexpected STRING, expecting DEFAULT or
NOTENAME_PITCH:
\context Staff = lower << \clef bass \key f \major \lower

piano.ly:26:57: error: Have to be in Lyric mode for lyrics:
    \context Staff = lower <<    \clef bass  \key f \majo
                                                         r \lower
Interpreting music... piano.ly:25:49: warning: Junking event: `LyricEvent': \context Staff = upper << \clef violin \key f \major \time 2/4 \upper

piano.ly:26:50: warning: Junking event: `LyricEvent':
\context Staff = lower << \clef bass \key f \major \lower

Thank you very much for helping!
Stefan

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing