Followup: I am a Lily confused about .ly file structure

From: John Sellers
Subject: Followup: I am a Lily confused about .ly file structure
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 14:14:29 -0800

Note that NOTHING has meaning without a context, and many of the examples in the Lilypond documentation describe things without explicitly stating what general context the code fragment applies.  I do NOT mean 'context' as used in Lilypond, but the context that constrains the possible meaning of any code fragment.  For example, making a particular statement in a court of law may have a very different outcome then if you are being robbed by a murderer with a gun to your head.  The meaning and implications of the statement are constrained by the context within which it is said.

The documentation writer see things perfectly clear because he/she knows the context of  appropriate use of a particular  code example and so the Tutorial seems perfectly clear and well written...which in fact it is, if you are an experienced lilypond programmer.  The reader, however, may not have a clue about the context that applies to a code example as there are many possible different contexts at various points within any .ly file.  IF ONE IS LOOKING AT CODE EXAMPLE FOR AN UNFAMILIAR CONCEPT FOR THE FIRST TIME, THERE IS NO WAY TO BE SURE OF THE CORRECT CONTEXT OF USE THAT CONCEPT UNLESS THE CORRECT CONTEXT OF USE IS SPECIFICALLY CONVEYED TO THE READER BY SOME MECHANISM.

So what is that machanism?

John Sellers wrote:
I have gotten my feet wet with LilyPond, but I'm going nuts every time want do do something new.  [SNIP] (see previous e-mail, just sent to same as this e-mail)