Re: simple install question perhaps?

From: Walter Hofmeister
Subject: Re: simple install question perhaps?
Date: Sun, 19 Dec 2004 15:32:47 -0600

On 12/19/04 10:52 AM, "Josh Roseman" <address@hidden> wrote:

Greetings!
Quick newbie-install question, any input would be greatly appreciated:

My lilypad installation seems to have went well, went with the binary (stable) v.2.2.5 for Mac OSX 10.3.6,  hope that's correct.
got various confirmations in the FINK commander:

@@@
@@@ Installation Complete.
@@@
@@@ Start a NEW shell to get the correct lilypond environment settings.
@@@
* GNU LilyPond: (lilypond).           The GNU music typesetter.
install-info(/sw/share/info/lilypond.info): creating new section `GNU music project'
* GNU LilyPond program-reference: (lilypond-internals). LilyPond
 program-reference.
* Glossary: (lilypond/music-glossary). Glossary of music terms.

I'm an absolute UNIX newbie,
wasn't sure how to start a new shell to set the environment as above,
couldn't find the info on that
Skipped this step,  tried doing the output test as per the tutorial, using the OSX terminal and a text editor-
had problems, as follows:

$ lilypond test
lilypond (GNU LilyPond) 2.2.5
Running lilypond-bin...
warning: can't find file: `test'

lilypond: warning: no LilyPond output found for `test'
Running ...
Running dvips...lilypond: error: `dvips' failed (status 1)
lilypond: error: The error log is as follows:
This is dvips(k) 5.92b Copyright 2002 Radical Eye Software (www.radicaleye.com)
dvips: ! DVI file can't be opened.
lilypond: warning: Failed to make PS file. Rerun with --verbose for a trace.

Basically, I'm not sure what directory should be used for saved  .ly  text files, not certain if additional steps need to be performed...
Probably this is an easy question... thanks for taking the time-  looks like an exciting software package an' I wanna play with it, hopefully reformat some of my compositions...

allbest
Josh Roseman