Slurs and beams

From: Karina Aleksandrova
Subject: Slurs and beams
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 16:48:08 -0500

Hello!

I have recently downloaded Lylipond. I don't know musical notation, so
I've been learning both Lylipond and the musical notation together,
just going by the way it looks. I have encountered a problem. In the
original image the two notes had both beam and slur, but Lylipond only
prints slur. Can you help me firgure out what I'm doing wrong?

For example, I put in:

bes[( a])

I've tried re-arranging the brackets and parenthethes, but nothing worked.

Karina