Staff spacing, and glissandos

From: Tom Cornall
Subject: Staff spacing, and glissandos
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 16:33:23 +1000

Hi - I've just started using LilyPond and it's fantastic, I love it!
However, I do have a couple of problems. The first one is probably
easily fixed; I have a score which fills up one page then leaves just
one line onto the next page. Is there some way to shrink the spacing
between staves (there is only one instrument, I mean lines of staves)
so that I can fit the entire song onto one page?

The second problem is probably a little harder. I understand LilyPond
is targeted more for classical music; however I write a lot of jazz,
and articulations are somewhat lacking for, say, trumpet parts - there
is no way to write a fall, or 'doit' or a 'squiggly' glissando (as
opposed to just the straight line). Is there some kind of extra font
or package that I can get that lets me add in such ornaments?

Thanks for all help,

Tom Cornall