Re: Using Lilypond as a Lilypond preprocessor.

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Using Lilypond as a Lilypond preprocessor.
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 23:27:48 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Erik Sandberg <address@hidden> writes
Since this intermediate file is a valid Lilypond file, an intermediate
pass can perform some kind of transformation
on it before passing it back to Lilypond for actual processing.

Is this reasonable ? or is Lilypond's internal data structure too
complex for this to be feasible ?

Something similar to this is on our todo. The hope is that we will have
something working before summer.

Sounds a bit like something I would like ... of course this might already be in lilypond ...

I'm thinking of buying a music-scanning program. Which is fine - until I feed it say a trombone part. If I want to convert from treble clef to bass clef, for example (or the other way) I have to transpose by a ninth. Bass to treble isn't a problem - the original is concert pitch and I use the transpose command.

But I *don't* want to have my master music in a transposed pitch - it'll get confusing if I have parts in Eb, Bb, G (for the brass, add Ab etc for woodwind...).

If my music scanner chucks out a "midi as written", I can convert from midi to lily, and then I'd like to be able to put a \transpose in there, convert from lily to lily, and have the resulting output in concert pitch (or octaves thereof).

Cheers,
Wol
as Lies-to-People.