Re: Question re lilypond

From: Maurizio Tomasi
Subject: Re: Question re lilypond
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 09:56:46 +0100

Gordon Gilbert wrote:
From the Mutopia web-site, I have downloaded various .ly files for hymns, including, for example, NearTheCross.ly. I have tried various things, including convert-ly to make them compile, yet I have not succeeded with my version of Lilypond - 2.2.2 Because I run FreeBSD 5.3 and am not particularly good at geekish stuff, this is a real stretch for me. I normally install programs via Ports, and have had no success with direct downloading and installing programs from web-sites. Which means that for the moment, until someone places a newer version on ports, I'm stuck with 2.2.2.

I'm suspecting there are code items in these files that wreck it for my version -- yet I have no idea what they might be, or where to look. Can you (or someone) point me to a hymn with two staves and several verses printed between the staves so I might use it as a template? With such a template, I can typeset the various hymns I will need for my upcoming Ordination.

"Near the Cross" was written using Lilypond 2.4.2, so it is no surprise you cannot compile it with Lilypond 2.2.2. I found these hymns:

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=81

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=96

http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=97

They are quite old, but maybe you could get something more usable by using convert-ly. Alternatively, you could contact the author of these piece (in the Mutopia webpage there is always an e-mail address): it is very likely he/she has updated the template used for that hymn, and will surely be happy to share it with you.

Please post your questions to the lilypond-user mailing list: there is a great chance somebody else has written what you are looking for.

Hope this helps,
  Maurizio.

Maurizio Tomasi
Via Newton, 6