transposition and midi

From: D Josiah Boothby
Subject: transposition and midi
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2005 02:34:49 -0800

Thank you for showing me that there are two sections on transposing, Mats, but now I have a new question:

In a recent email to the list, I saw that to remove a key signature, I could just use \override KeySignature #'transparent to do the job. Unfortunately, when I do this to a transposed part (as shown below), the transposition is nullified, so the notes are printed to the original pitch.

-Josiah

\version "2.4.2"

clarinetNotes = \relative c'' {
 \transposition bes
 \key d \minor
 d4 e f2
}

hornNotes = \relative c'' {
 \transposition es % original transposition
 \key a \minor
 c4 d8 f e4 c
}

\score {

 \context StaffGroup <<
   \context Staff = "clarinet" <<
     \clarinetNotes

   \context Staff = "horn" <<
     \transposition f
     \transpose c bes, % transposes horn in Es to horn in F
\override KeySignature #'transparent = ##t % since hornists hate key sigs
     \hornNotes

 \midi { \tempo 4 = 60 }

 \layout { raggedright = ##t }
}

Mats Bengtsson wrote:

The table of contents of the users manual includes two sections
with titles including "transpose" or "transposition". Make sure
to read both of them.

   /Mats

D Josiah Boothby wrote:

Using 2.4.2, I'd like to be able to transpose a part, create a midi file, and create the graphical output. The midi output is transposed right along with the score if everything is in the same score block. Is it possible to have an untransposed midi with transposed parts without having to play games with comments or writing out more than one score block every time (as in the below example)?