Absolute Beginner Question: Error messages

From: Jim Griffith
Subject: Absolute Beginner Question: Error messages
Date: Thu, 06 Jan 2005 20:59:00 -0800

Hello list,

This is the most basic of questions. I have little if any experience with Unix (I barely recall command line DOS) but I am a quick learner. I have successfully  (I believe) installed Lilypond on my Mac G5 running X11. The installation was via Fink. I followed the instructions to the letter.

I created a file, per the instructions on the site, for test.ly The file contains the following

{ c'4 e' g' }

Saved it as Western ASCII on my desktop
Opened a terminal window and typed: lilypond test

This happens:

Jim-Griffiths-Computer:~/desktop Griff$ lilypond test
lilypond (GNU LilyPond) 2.2.5
Running lilypond-bin...
Now processing `test.ly'
Parsing...

/Users/Griff/Desktop/test.ly:1:1: error: parse error:
{
  c'4 e' g' }

/Users/Griff/Desktop/test.ly:1:9: warning: Braces don't match:
{ c'4 e'
         g' }
Failed files: test.ly

lilypond: error: LilyPond failed on input file test (exit status 1)
lilypond: warning: Running LilyPond failed. Rerun with --verbose for a trace.

I am totally flummoxed.  Tried retyping it and nothing seems to work. I  typed the string exactly as shown on the Lilypond web page (didn’t I?).

Thank you in advance for the benefit of your expertise.

Regards,

Jim Griffith