lyrics in polyphony

From: Charles Gran
Subject: lyrics in polyphony
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 05:25:00 -0800

I am writing a song in lead-sheet format. I have an introduction that is polyphonic (manual 2.16). The last measure of the introduction has a pickup into the melody proper. I can't get a lyric on that pick-up.

In single-staff polyphony, how can you treat the top line as melody with lyric and the bottom as accompaniment? My piece uses a template from the manual (notes, lyrics, and chords 3.2.4)

Charles