Re: How to set lyrics to temporarily divided parts

From: Kilian A. Foth
Subject: Re: How to set lyrics to temporarily divided parts
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 15:24:01 +0100

Ferenc Wagner writes:

 > > \score {
 > >   <<  \context Voice = "melody" { \relative c' { c c c c | c } }
 > >       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { we shall o- ver- come } >> }
 > >
 > > \score {
 > >   <<  \context Voice = "melody" { \relative c' { c c8 e c4 c | c } }
 > >       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { we shall not o- ver- come } >> }
 > >
 > > \score {
 > >   <<  \context Voice = "melody" {
 > >     \relative c' { c
 > >       << {\voiceOne c8 e} \\ {\voiceTwo c4} >>
 > >      \oneVoice c4 c | c
 > >      }
 > >   }
 > >       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "melody" { we o- ver- come }
 > >       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "1" { shall not }
 > >       \new Lyrics \lyricsto "2" { shall }
 > >     >>
 > > }

 > > The third score correctly combines the first two (although the split
 > > lyrics are typeset one line too low). But that trick only works once
 > > for a part -- the next assignment to "1" would put yet another line of
 > > lyrics under the same split note, rather than the next one. Can notes
 > > and text be associated closer somehow to avoid this?
 >
 > \new Lyrics creates a new lyrics context (ie. a fresh and
 > independent line of lyrics); what you want is putting more
 > words into the *same* context (line) you already created.

Yes, apparently I need to, but I can't figure out how to do it! Do you
know a way to put alternative lyrics into the same context, so that in
the example both `shall' and `shall not' are aligned with the second
note?

--
Kilian Foth                                    Phone +49 40 42883-2518
AB NATS, FB Informatik                         Fax   +49 40 42883-2515