Re: Lyricsto skips notes with melisma's in 2.2 ?

From: Laura Conrad
Subject: Re: Lyricsto skips notes with melisma's in 2.2 ?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 08:27:14 -0500

    Mats> You mean if you have a voice containing something like:
    Mats> c d e f <<{g8 a g a} {g4 a}>> b c
    Mats> I seem to remember that older versions of the manual said that the
    Mats> result was undefined in these situations. Of course, each version of
    Mats> LilyPond will produce some deterministic result, but there's no
    Mats> guarantee that it won't change til the next version. Besides, this
    Mats> will often give strange layout also for the music itself, so it's
    Mats> better to split into separate Voice contexts.

It tends to be indeterminate when you give it to a choir to sing, as
well.  Really polyphonic music should just have separate staves.
There's a really horrible example in the Episcopal Hymnal 1982.  The
choir I sang in just gave up and sang "Lo How a Rose E'er Blooming"
from sheet music with four staves instead of the hymnbook version.

(617) 661-8097  fax: (501) 641-5011
233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139