Re: Lyricsto skips notes with melisma's in 2.2 ?

From: Michał Dwużnik
Subject: Re: Lyricsto skips notes with melisma's in 2.2 ?
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2005 14:29:04 +0100

On Wed, 12 Jan 2005 12:51:01 +0100, Mats Bengtsson
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Ferenc Wagner wrote:
> > Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes:
(Adding some documentation)

> Good idea!  The manual should also explicitly explain that
> << \upper \\ \lower >>
> is equivalent to
> <<
>    \context Voice = "1" {\voiceOne \upper}
>    \context Voice = "2" {\voiceTwo \lower}
>  >>

> And also explain exactly what the \voiceOne ... \voiceFour
> commands do (I think you can find some explanation in the mailing
> list archives that I wrote some time ago).

Mats, you  did an enormous amount of job explaining features to people,
and referencing to the previous fruitful discussions, and IMHO
that's a good practice to add sth to the real documentation, if roughly the
same question appears for more than third time, asked by different people.

I will hook up to the thread of writing the docs and lyrics  - would
it be possible somehow,
to have a more generous example on "TeX" encoding for the use of
non-fully-latin alphabet
users ? And a clear remark, that  one should probably not try to write his/her
national characters "normally" (like latin2 encoding), or preprocess
the file to produce TeX
equivalents before running lilypond.
Something like a page full of  single note lines with some lyrics for each
character set e.g:

Scandinavian line (umlauts, circled vowels and so on,  markups for
"TeX" representation
 like '\h{u}' above the notes)
Polish (\k{a}, \\'c, \k{e}, \l \\'n, \\'o, \\'s, \.z, \\'z)
Czech (\v{a}, \\'a, \^r \^c and so on)
Hungarian (umlauts and accented vowels)

Of course the Polish version is the most detailed as I am Polish, but
I think for most of the "East European" languages I can write the
example if I talk
to friends and have some time at home (not at work, from where I'm
posting now),
same comes for French, for Scandinavian languages there should be no
problem I assume ;).
And we have most of Europe covered, people asking "how to get Hebrew
or Russian?"
would contribute their examples, and so on.

People used to typesetting in LaTeX know how to get the characters
they need by heart,
but "musicians" often perform e.g. some French song, knowing less French
than needed for remembering the French keyboard layout, and where all
all the accented
  e's, but still willing to copy the real text
(and do it before perfect Unicode support becomes available).

Regards
Michal

PS: Maybe that is my own stupidity which didn't allow me to produce
the proper output myself according to the documentation, or maybe the
docs are too
short. And that's why I can imagine that there _may_ be a need for such
a quicksheet reference for one's desk.
PS2: I know, instrumentalists are not that affected...