No .ps for me?

From: Kilian A. Foth
Subject: No .ps for me?
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 14:14:30 +0100

Buoyed by my recent success in polyphonic typesetting, I tried to
install LilyPond on my home PC. These are the versions I have:

  lilypond 2.4.2
  ec-fonts-mftraced 1.0.9
  mftrace 1.1.2
  tetex 2.0.2

Now, LilyPond creates the .dvi file perfectly, but neither .ps or .pdf
files. It turns out that the dvips call

  dvips  -t "a4"   -u+ec-mftrace.map -u+lilypond.map -Ppdf music

fails with

 `dvips: ! Couldn't find header file ecrm10'

Sure enough, I don't have a file `ecrm10' anywhere.

Now, someone on the list reported that problem and said that the
solution was to replace `ecrm10' by `ecrm10.pfa', etc., in
ec-mftrace.map. But if I do this, I get no text in the .ps file, and
mktexpk says:

 kpathsea: Running mktexpk --mfmode ljfour --bdpi 8000 --mag 1+0/8000 --dpi
8000 ecrm10
 mktexpk: Mismatched mode ljfour and resolution 8000; ignoring mode.
 mktexpk: Can't guess mode for 8000 dpi devices.
 mktexpk: Use a config file, or update me.

So lilypond appears to demanding 8000 dpi fonts for everything, but
I would need 600 dpi. How do I change this?

(On my office machine I have

  lilypond 2.4.2
  ec-fonts-mftraced 1.0.7
  mftrace 1.0.34
  tetex 2.0.2c-3

and the same input works perfectly.)

--
Kilian Foth                                    Phone +49 40 42883-2518
AB NATS, FB Informatik                         Fax   +49 40 42883-2515