Re: Trouble running Lilypond for first time

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Trouble running Lilypond for first time
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 10:54:01 -0800

On 18-Jan-05, at 9:04 PM, Jane Craford wrote:
Could you walk me through some troubleshooting steps? I downloaded and installed Fink to my iBook PowerPC G3 running OS X 10.3.7; then used FinkCommander v. 0.5.3 to install Lilypond binary 2.2.5.

Interesting.  I don't think that this is the problem, but you may want
to use Fink unstable so that you can install lilypond 2.4.2.

I created a test file in a text editor, as instructed. Then, in Darwin, entered the command:

which text editor?  And are you certain that it saved the file as
"test.ly" and not "test.ly.txt" or something like that?

Finally, do you have any unix experience?  If so, you can check the
exact filename at the shell.  Launch terminal, then (assuming you
saved your test file in your home directory)
ls

(you should see a "test.ly" file.  Now try)

lilypond test.ly

One other possible problem is that some simple syntax
changed between 2.2.5 and 2.4.0.  For 2.4, you can
do

{  c'4 }

but for 2.2.5, you need something like

\score{ \notes{ c'4 }}