manual staff changes looks ugly...

From: Michiel Lange
Subject: manual staff changes looks ugly...
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 02:50:38 +0100

At the end of this mail I have included the ly source of the first two measures of Fauré's Cantique de Jean Racine as I have written them in lilypond version 2.2.0

As a test I ran lilypond to see what it would look like... there are two things that I see that I would really love to change: - the slur at the end of the first measure is now above the notes, but below them would look much better! Can I move this slur?
- the second measure... I had expected something entirely different:
- the first note with a beam up, the second with a beam down and the "bar" (what would be the right term in english?) in between...
   - the slur down but higher up

anyone with some good ideas? I still use Lilypond 2.2.0, and am upgrading my machine so I can use 2.4.x... is this a thing that was fixed later?

---- lilypond code ----

\version "2.2.0"

\header
{
       texidoc = "Cantique de Jean Racine"
       title = "Canqique de Jean Racine"
       composer= "Gabriel Faure"
}

muzieksopr=\notes
{
       r1 r1 r1 r1
}
muziekalt=\notes
{
       r1 r1 r1 r1
}
muziektenor=\notes
{
       r1 r1 r1 r1
}
muziekbas=\notes
{
       r1 r1 r1 r1
}
pianosopr=\notes
{
\times 2/3 {r8 \p c8 ( des8 f8 c8 des8 ) \change Staff=down aes8 ( \change Staff=up c8 des8 f8 c8 des8 ) } % measure 1 << aes'2 \\ { \times 2/3 { \change Staff=down aes,8 ( \change Staff=up c des } \times 2/3 { f des \change Staff=down aes ) \change Staff=up } } >> << ges'2 \\ \times 2/3 { r8 b, ( c es c aes ) } >> % measure 2, my... does it look ugly!

}
pianobas=\notes
{
       <<des,1 \p des,1>>  << f2 f,2 >> <<aes'2 aes,2>>
}

\score
{
       \notes