Re: Accidentals

From: Christ van Willegen
Subject: Re: Accidentals
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 08:15:03 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 20:30:31 -0800, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:
> However, I'm pretty certain that I haven't seen 7 accidentals printed
> when the music changes from E major to A major.

I've discussed this with the keyboard player at choir yesterday. I'va
also checked some of the scores we sing from. Most of them are in one
key, but some _do_ change keys.

The example I saw goes from 3 flats to 2 flats, and is structured like this:

|| a-natural b-flat e-flat |

and from 2 flats to 2 sharps

|| b-natural e-natural f-sharp c-sharp |

So, first the accidentals you don't need are cancelled by the
naturals, and after that the relevant accidentals are printed. On the
next line, the naturals aren't printed any more (ofcourse...)

This is for contemporary music. He also can't remember having seen 4
naturals followed by 3 flats.

Hope this helps!

Christ van Willegen