Re: Accidentals

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Re: Accidentals
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 23:37:09 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> writes
I can't recall that I have ever seen this convention in printed music.
Are you sure that this is good typesetting practice?

Lilypond is the first time I've ever seen lilypond's practice.

MOST of the music I play has key changes, and it only prints a natural if that particular note changes from sharp/flat to natural. (Note, as always, what I see nowadays is band music, but I don't remember it from my days in the school orchestra, either.)

So if the number of eg flats increases, it never cancels those of the previous key. And if the number of eg flats decreases, it only cancels those that are now naturals in the new key.

  /Mats

Cheers,
Wol

Paul Scott wrote:
Graham Percival wrote:

Here's the problem:

{
  \key e \major
  e''1
  \key a \major
  a'1
\break
\set Staff.printKeyCancellation = ##f
  \key e \major
  e''1
  \key a \major
  a'1
}

Neither of those key changes look good to me.  Is there some way
to get a key change (from E to A) that only prints a D-natural?
say, something like
\set Staff.printOnlyNeededNaturals = ##t

I vote for that. Or that might suggest that printKeyCancellation might need to be more than a boolean and have values for as many styles as seem appropriate.
 Paul Scott