Installing Lilypond for Slackware 10

From: Michiel Lange
Subject: Installing Lilypond for Slackware 10
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 12:52:05 +0100

Hello everybody,

I am trying to install Lilypond 2.4 for Slackware 10 and found a package for it on the net. it states that I should install ec-mftraced-fonts package, so I downloaded it and tried to install ec-mftraced-fonts-1.0.9 first from source, but installing that one resulted in alot of errors. Then I downloaded the rpm and ran rpm2tgz, checked the contents and installed it.

Now I can compile a ly file and it generates a dvi and a midi file, but with the ps and pdf I get the following errors:

partial output from lilypond jesusjoy.ly (the Bach song, from the Mutopia project, converted to 2.4):

MIDI output to `jesusjoy.midi'...
Track...
Layout output to `jesusjoy.tex'...
Converting to `jesusjoy.dvi'...
Converting to `jesusjoy.ps'...
Error invoking `dvips -t "a4" -u+ec-mftrace.map -u+lilypond.map -Ppdf jesusjoy > /dev/null 2>&1 '. Return value 256 Converting to `jesusjoy.pdf'...Error invoking `ps2pdf -sPAPERSIZE="a4" jesusjoy.ps > /dev/null 2>&1 '. Return value 256

lilypond --version gives: GNU LilyPond 2.4.2
gcc --version gives: gcc (GCC) 3.3.4
dvips --version gives: dvips(k) 5.92b and kpathsea version 3.4.5
ps2pdf is probably version 7.0.7

My question is twofold:
- has anyone succesfully installed and used lilypond 2.4 under Slackware 10? And which steps were taken to make it so?
- Anyone any idea what is going wrong exactly?

TIA,
Michiel